Riverview Cemetery is located in historic St. Joseph, Michigan atop a wooded bluff that overlooks the St. Joseph River. Originally, Riverview Cemetery was a site of five acres, purchased by the City of St. Joseph from the late Adelbert Birdsey in 1912. Twenty five acres were added in 1934 as well as a chapel and a superintendent's building with offices and restrooms. In 1938, eight more acres were added to complete the cemetery. Today, Riverview includes over 40 acres. The cemetery is located 3 miles south of downtown St. Joseph on M63 (Niles Road). Source: Riverview Cemetery promotional brochure.
The senior Batkes and Links are buried in Riverview. Just as in life, the Batkes and Links are close in death.
The grave markers for Henry Batke and Katherine Reck Batke Schmeichel lay side-by-side in Riverview Cemetery. In the booklet Cemeteries of Berrien County, Michigan: Riverview, published by The Berrien County Genealogical Society, no other Batkes are listed.
The GPS for the Batke graves is: N42° 03' 51.6"; W086° 27' 52.4"
In addition to Jacob and Mary, the only other Link listed as buried in Riverside is Carolyn Ann Link, believed to be their granddaughter and daughter of Raymond and Ellen Link. Her birth and death date is provided as September 24, 1949.
The GPS for Mary and Jacob's graves is: N42° 03' 54.7"; W086° 27' 53.6"
This photo was taken standing at the Batke graves looking toward the Link graves. The graves are approximately 300 feet from each other. The Batkes and Links are about the same distance apart as when they lived on Vine Street.
|To see the relationship between the Batke and Link grave sites, double click on photo.|